Derek asked me to send him a new washcloth.
I wonder what in the world he has been doing with that one!
His new apartment, with his tired companion, apparently.
Family,
I'm writing this from a library in Wichita. I haven't e-mailed at a library since December. But this has been a good week. Elder Eliason and I are really struggling to find things to do. Elder Eliason is from Holbrook, Idaho (30 miles from Malad) and is the middle of 5 boys in his family. So combine the families, and you get 9 boys and a girl. I think that's pretty funny. He has been out almost 20 months and goes home a few days before Christmas this year. His first area was Wamego just like me! I have enjoyed reminiscing with him about that area.
So, since I don't have nearly as much time as last week, I'll only cover the highlights. So first, Dad, in your e-mail you talked a lot about getting out of our comfort zone, and reading it really motivated me to act. Last Saturday, Elder Eliason and I were trying to think of creative ways to find new investigators. We didn't know the ward because we had got there only two days earlier. We decided to go to the mall since that is a typical place where young single adults "hang out". So we went there and it was really, really hard to stop people and say: "Hey, I know you're shopping, but do you want to know more about our church?" We talked to two people. One had just graduated high school this past May and his girlfriend was a junior in high school. So we failed there. That's where your e-mail comes in. I need to just step out of my shell. It's sooooo hard for me just to stop and talk with people; especially in a busy mall with so much wordly stuff around you.
At church yesterday, we were just trying to fellowship the ward with us. I also gave gave a talk about Elder Ballard's conference talk: this is my work and my glory". I felt the talk went well, especially since I only knew about this assignment a few days prior top giving it. But Elder Eliason and I are brand new to the area and brand new to our apartment too. So, we're not too familiar with the Wichita area but I think I'm getting the roads down. We also bought a road map at the QT gas station and Elder Eliason and I (pronounced eel-ya-son) wrote all over it. He's now a road map expert. When I left Wellington on Wednesday, we also were assigned a full-time car, being new zone leaders. We got the car that I was driving in Wellington and now they share a car with the Pratt sisters. So they need a car, haha! We'll get one for them when more cars come in in September.
On Thursday, we met the only investigator that we had coming in (we now have two, as of yesterday). This girl has been super prepared to hear the gospel. She is seriously dating a return missionary who had been less active for several years after his mission. His girlfriend came up to him and said: "I want to check out your church" even though she was born and raised Catholic. So when they were on vacation in Bulgaria visiting his mission to the Czech republic, they started taking the lessons. (FYI, this returned missionary's parents are on "the district 1"...so I get to meet them!) She met with us on Thursday and immediatrely accepted baptism. Her date is for October 3rd, which is kind of far away, but they want to have their parents come up for the baptism and then fly out to general conference that weekend. We had it approved by President Bell to get her confirmed at the baptismal font. So, we're super excited for her and for this returned missionary who just got this wake-up call to go back to church by his girlfriend. She's super nice too and already knows that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet and all that.
But as far as finding new investigators, we are needing help from the ward in that regard, so that's why I appreciate that e-mail you sent me. We drove around the two religious universities in our zone the other day too and found nothing that we could do. Although, at church yesterday we talked to a professor at Friends university who is an active member. He said he'd let us know what he could do and be sure to get us onto campus! So that should be cool. Could you do me a favor, Dad (or Mom), and print out your e-mail you sent me and send it to me? I'd like to read it and keep it but don't want to spend money to print. Speaking of money, there are so many rich people here! It's crazy! The houses by the nice golf courses are super nice.
Anyways, back to my week. Our bishop is super cool. He sent you that e-mail with our pictures in it. I also got a picture on my camera. Bishop Jensen is his name. In fact, our whole bishopric is really cool. We did laundry this morning at one of their houses. But anyways, I better wrap it up here. I'm sure the other elders are getting uneasy wondering where their zone leaders are. But I'd just like to let you know that I know that this work is true and will carry forth forever. I know now that people must not be comfortable with attending another church because the fulness of the gospel is in only one church, the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am grateful for all that you do for me (including sending that package that I got on Saturday). I must step up my obedience as a zone leader and work harder than I ever have before. Elder Eliason is a great leader and hard worker. I love you all and hope you have a great week! Love,
Elder Sutherland
No comments:
Post a Comment