-

-

Sunday, November 3, 2013

10-28-13

Family,

The church of the NFL is in full effect. Everyone has taken hold of it including some people in the church. I say that because this morning, as Elder Johnson was working out, I was eavesdropping on a conversation of some people nearby talking about it. One guy said: "The NFL is all I do on Sundays." Or something like that. I also heard what's up in the world series right now ironically in a talk yesterday. Now, I don't want to know who wins, but I also eavesdropped this morning and heard someone say who's winning and who was losing. On the happy side, however, I am so so so so excited for Cody's blessing. Isn't it amazing to have such a priesthood holder in our family as Grandpa is? Sounds like he has some pretty great promises in store for him as he journeys on through life. Oh, Dad I have something to say to you. Jayce is right. It's 3 FLAGS up not flies. That's what we've called it our whole lives. I'm pretty sure that's what people and others have said growing up in school and stuff. Anyways, let me get on to my week.

Last Monday we were busy shopping and stuff until a little before 4. So we only had about an hour of P-Day sports. That is totally fine with me. I got really sweaty anyways. On Tuesday, we did service by installing some shelves in a shed that's attached to this house and also installed another mailbox. The same kind that Elder Eliason and I did. We did a better job last time. It wasn't quite 100% level but nobody wanted to dig sideways. If I didn't have a blister on my hand, I would've gotten in there and made it level. Digging the hole is the hardest part. But it was fun. I enjoyed having that blister as a reminder of hard work and dedication. We had to rush home and have some quick studies and lunch because we had an appointment with this investigator who recently has never been home. But he actually held his appointment today. The main thing that was lacking in that lesson was a team-up. I think the spirit would've been much more powerful and meaningful had we had a member there to fellowship him. We have another appointment with him tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. 

I was a really clumsy driver too. After getting gas, I forgot there was a curb to the side of me and just drove straight over it, hitting the underside of the car on the curb making a loud bang noise. Later, after an appointment fell through, I was driving out of a parking lot and didn't bother to look straight ahead of me to even see if there was a median or not. I saw the median just in time and swerved left to avoid hitting that and oncoming traffic. Fortunately, the Lord has been watching over me all the times on my mission where I've been an awful driver. I've gotten in one small accident and like 10 close calls. That's a blessing right there. But getting 2 in one day really made me feel stupid. 

We had two appointments fall through that day too. But later that night after dinner, we had our team-up come and pick us up for a lesson with one of our newer investigators. We answered their questions most of the night and taught as much as we could. They were very impressed by what we sacrifice to serve missions and by the boldness of our testimonies. They tried to come to church yesterday but texted us and couldn't find it. That was a super big bummer. But that lesson on Tuesday went great. It didn't go along at all with what we planned, but that's what the spirit tells you to do sometimes. I really enjoy teaching through the spirit and knowing that it is there to guide me through the toughest of times. 

That night after the lesson, we were informed that the members that we live with need us to be out before Halloween because they are putting their house up for sale. In fact, we moved out on Saturday. More on that later. But Elder Johnson was super bummed out because he loves the members that we live with. They plan on moving to Manhattan and then eventually getting a super nice fifth wheel to live in for the rest of their lives. 

Wednesday we had an appointment with a guy who loves the missionaries but is a die hard Catholic. We didn't bring a team-up yet again. As a result, the lesson lacked in something that was obviously the spirit. Hopefully he can open up more and come to accept the gospel. Nothing else much happened that day. As always, we went to Friends University and walked around a bit. we try to talk to as many people as we can about the gospel. we go on campus. Nobody from the University staff has stopped us so far so hopefully we will be allowed to continue. (That reminds me, we forgot to call that one guy we contacted. I think I'll do that today sometime.) 

That night, after dinner, we were going to go out with a member who speaks mandarin to this Asian guy that speaks only mandarin and very little English. He was being taught by missionaries in New York for like 2 years over skype and stuff. But now they finally decided to hand him off to us. We don't speak a lick of mandarin so fortunately we had the member there who went to Sydney, Australia mandarin speaking for his mission not too long ago. It was so cool to hear them communicate one with another. This guy is an illegal immigrant and is looking to become a citizen but can't really do that if he doesn't know English. He loves the missionaries, I could tell, and is interested in the gospel. The only hindrance is his uncle who is Buddhist and doesn't want anything to do with us. So we'll be working with them. That was a super cool experience. Hopefully we can continue in fellowship so that he can get dunked. 

Thursday was a day in which we had a church tour with this one guy. His friend (who is a member) invited him to learn more about the church. (I have a terrible memory. I forgot to text him too to invite him to church). So we gave him a church tour and it went okay. The spirit was there but not as powerfully as it has been in the past. Then after the church tour, we did stake reports for the next several hours because we had our stake correlation meeting with President Williams and President Bell. It was a good, short meeting. 

After the meeting, we went to FHE and played musical chairs (with EFY music) and sardines. Sardines got pretty crazy at times. But it was super fun. It's where you play hide 'n' seek but one person hides while everyone else tries to find them. On Friday after district meeting, we went on exchanges. I went with Elder Kempter into the Rolling Hills area and Elder Heppler to our area. I first went and taught their investigator with a baptismal date. His huge hang up is tithing. He doesn't have the faith to commit to pay tithing. So I relayed to him every scripture I knew, every minute detail of a testimony of tithing that I had. I think that helped him to come closer to accepting it. He gets a retirement raise at the beginning of next year so he wants to set a date then. Now that I think about it, I don't think that would be a bad idea. Maybe I'll tell the Elders that. Oh, the revelation you receive as you e-mail home. That was a cool experience, haha! 

I enjoyed having the opportunity to talk to our district leader and help him out in regards to his leadership abilities and training opportunities. I wanted to make sure he and Elder Heppler are obedient and loving to each other and to the missionaries in his district. They are doing great! 

The next day, we had a huge meeting where all of the missionaries in the zone were to gather at the Westlink building where there would be a youth training meeting. Only 6 youth showed up. So all of the missionaries got to help prepare them for missions. I think it helped. We weren't there for the whole thing. We did a little training that I did not prepare for and then departed. I left one of the district leaders in charge because we had to go help with a service project up near maize. We were putting branches onto several trailers for this lady who is super old and an investigator of the sisters. I am used to pulling out branches thanks to the big storm that Argonia got hit with back in July. So this was a breeze. We then all unloaded it into a waste pile in Colwich, Kansas. 

The bulk of the rest of the day was spent moving all of our stuff to the apartment that I just moved out of last transfer. So now we are living there again. That took a long time too. Once we got all settled, it was already time to go to dinner. A member took us out to Subway. That night, we went on team-ups with the member that we just moved out of. He took us to see some of the less actives that I thought we should see and then one of our investigators. That took the rest of the night. We had nice visits with all who answered. 

Sunday I was fasting, of course. It was a tough Sunday for us. We didn't have any investigators come today because the one that usually comes stayed home with the kids. An even bigger bummer was that our recent convert didn't come because she had family in town. I think she could've made it for an hour of sacrament. But I was super bummed about that. Then, in priesthood, the wife of a member of our bishopric brought in these delicious-looking cupcakes. I really wanted one so asked if I could take them home with me. He accepted. I just have to give the container back to them. Then as we were proselyting after church, we were walking and saw these three people working in a ditch. They were trying to fix a leak in the foundation of their house. The guy that she hired bailed once he hit the water line. So it was up to her to get it done by hand before the freezing air came in to freeze the line. So we went home and changed and came back to help them. All they needed help with was lifting up buckets of dirt/mud so that she could get to the base of the foundation. She was super grateful for our help. I enjoyed doing service and gaining a stronger testimony of what the sabbath day is really all about. So I enjoyed doing this and still feeling the spirit of what Christ taught in the New Testament. That was pretty much the highlights of my week! Sorry, I don't have much time.

I got your package on Saturday and love what you went me, so thank you. Although, the autumn mix candy corn is not one of my favorites. I'll still eat it though. Yeah, I still want that USB. That would be super helpful as a zone leader. Dad, I always appreciate all that you say to me in your e-mails. I want to write more but am limited when it comes to time. I just want to let you know that I love you and am grateful for your diligence in writing me. Keep up the good work!

Love,
Elder Sutherland

No comments:

Post a Comment