-

-

Sunday, January 12, 2014

12-16-2013

 Goofy Elder Sutherland
 Goofy Elder Sutherland and Elder Clay
At the Branch Christmas Party

Family,

I assume Dad didn't have any time to e-mail me today/yesterday because of tithing settlement and stuff. But if he sends me an e-mail within the next couple of hours, I will take that first sentence back. So it sounds like you guys had a pretty good but tough week. Actually, it was the exact same here in Kansas too. Even though the weather is temporarily warming up, the work has been slowing down a lot. I'll get into the details in a minute. I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions, what do you do with the Harvesters that I send home? Also, have you gotten my zit stuff? I assume you will send that in your paskage to me. I have a lot to write to this week. But as far as skyping is concerned, yes I am allowed to Skype but I don't know when or where yet. I've been thinking about either doing it here in Kingman at a member's house (like brother Waters) or going to Pratt and doing it over dinner there. I will definitely let you know next week.

Last Monday was quite chilly but good at the same time. I always enjoy P-Days. In Pratt, we do laundry at the senior couple's house so it was fun to be able to hear their stories and interact with them and stuff. Tuesday last week was super fun! We woke up at 5:30 (UGH! I was so tired) to be at the 13th street building by 8. Turns out, we only needed to be there at 10:45 but upon asking the zone leaders over and over they kept saying be there at 8. So we did and it was unnecessary. The Sisters had to get up at 5 in order to be there on time. Speaking of the Sisters, Sister Bitter is going to Manhattan this week. It was only a 5-week transfer because if we had a 6 week transfer, transfer day would've fallen on Christmas day. That would've been crazy even though I would'nt've cared. 

Anyways, Tuesday was awesome because we had a combined zone Christmas partay. There was food and reverse charades. After we waited for like 4 hours to be interviewed and didn't get back home to Kingman until after 9:30. But we made it! Wednesday was kind of a "meh" kind of day. But that night we had a member come out with us from Pratt and we taught a lesson to our most solid investigator. He committed to baptism but still has a lot to overcome, like working on Sundays or getting a car to get him to and fro church in Pratt. He came to church yesterday, though, and absolutely loved it! I think he liked it most because it was potluck Sunday just like we had in the Wellington ward. 

Thursday was another day. The days here seem to be getting longer and harder to go and work. The holidays are pretty tough here. We had an appointment with one of our investigators with a baptismal date and taught her and her son half of the restoration again. We also taught her the word of wisdom and she totally just accepted it then and there. We thought she had no issues with it at all. But she called us the next day and said that she had discussed it over with her husband and that they were going to try the Nazarene church here in town. I just about blew up when she said that because she has told us repeatedly that she knew that this was the only church on the Earth today with the fullness of the gospel. She has had the same questions Joseph Smith had when he entered the sacred grove. Man, aren't people just so smart? That night after our planning session, we felt kind of down because our teaching pool is decreasing while the opposition to us is rising. Everyone knows we're here now. It's just a matter of providing an example for the people here. Are we living a gospel centered life like the Savior? I sure hope so. I know we are but it's not we think of us, it's what others think of us. That's why we need to be on our best behavior. Anyways, the Sisters sent us a message where they sang us the children's hymn: "Scripture Power" and mixed up the words by using Sister power or Elder power. It was cute and lifted us up a ton. The next day we sent a message where we wrote a poem. They were appreciative of that. 

Friday was an okay day as well. It was also my 18-month mark. So that's all I have left. 6 months. What will I make of it? Let's find out. We did service today at the Kingman food bank located in the basement of the local Presbyterian church. They love us coming over because everything gets done so much quicker and easier with us tall kids. They always appreciate our help. I don't really remember what else happened that was super epic. 

Saturday was an especially epic day. It started out fun and exciting but ended on the other side of things. We had our branch Christmas party in the morning breakfast style. It was way fun and delicious. They made crepes for us and eggs, sausage, and bacon. I thought it was lovely. After the party, we dedicated the sisters' apartment. we got approval from the mission president to do that. Oh, we also dedicated our apartment the night before. I just wanted to ask Dad about the dedication ordinance. The white handbook says that I don't have to state authority when I do that, but am I supposed to? I haven't when I dedicated any apartment/home throughout my mission. So just thought I'd ask you since the awesomest Dad ever. Just got your e-mail by the way. Sorry you were so busy and now are paying the price. 

Anyways, after the dedication, we went back to Kingman to have studies and lunch before heading out to proselyte. While tracting this one specific apartment complex, we came across this one guy who, come to find out, is a long lost member. His records aren't here so we were psyched to meet him. He had kind of a potty mouth too and like you know, it bothers me to no end when someone swears and doesn't care. So I asked him if he could watch his language because it offends me. I meant to be bold with him but not overbearing. All of a sudden he started screaming at me saying get off his property while using some choice words. I didn't think he was serious at first so I just stepped off the sidewalk but then he ripped off his jacket and started coming at me. If he was as tall as me, he would've been standing nose to nose with me. So he was like 6 inches shorter and was trying to instigate a fight all the while I wasn't saying a thing nor did I move. He kept swearing up a storm. Finally his wife/girlfriend came out and didn't even acknowledge us and said something to him like: "Stop! You can't go to jail!" We were walking away at that point. I simply cannot tolerate that language. Elder Clay doesn't like it when I do that but whatever. I'm going to tell someone to stop taking the Lord's name in vain. So that made me down in the dumps because those words hurt to hear. I felt a lot better the next day. 

Sunday was a great day. I always love going to Pratt. As I said, we had our first investigator at church today for this transfer. He was picked up by the high councilor who came and spoke at the branch today. For dinner that night we had chicken and waffles and it was super good. I always love having dinner with the member that feeds us weekly. They make such exotic foods that I usually love. The only thing I haven't liked was the Indian food. So that was my week! Those other pictures that I sent later were taken by Sister Bitter in our district. She's getting transferred this week so we'll miss her.

I'm super bummed out that Cody won't be able to participate in track this next year. It's all in the Lord's will, though. This may be the toughest time of his life but it's not in his hands. I've been praying for him and also for Dallin too so hopefully he can turn his act around. Have you sent his records to the ward in which he now lives? Do you have his address? I would like to send him another letter. One more week until Christmas break for you! That's so exciting! Please say hi to Billy and Caitlin for me. Are they going to be there for Christmas? I think it would be fun to be able to Skype with them again. OH! I also got to practice my Spanish this week too. We have some Spanish potentials that also speak English but prefer Spanish. I kind of dominated the conversation so there's room for improvement, haha! Well I best be off. You guys have a great week! Bye! Love,

Elder Sutherland

No comments:

Post a Comment