-

-

Sunday, August 11, 2013

7-30-13

Family, 

Well what an interesting week this was. It was filled with service and more service and more service. Let me get into it.

So Monday last week just was a normal P-day despite me waking up feeling sick. I got over it as the day progressed. At about 4 we went to Wellington to get our needed groceries not knowing what would hit the town of Argonia, Kansas. There weren't even that many clouds from what I remember. But as we were getting dinner at Subway, we got word that another town had lost power because of the storm. It was only barely sprinkling in Wellington. But after proselyting that evening, the Brundage's called us and said that their power was out too and would be out for a few days. I was a little worried. When we pulled into town, we saw why. Apparently the rain was just unbelievably hard and the wind gusted up to 90 miles an hour. That's hurricane weather! It knocked out our power only for 6 hours, fortunately, but the AC was destroyed. Little did we know what was coming later. 

On Tuesday we had a good district meeting then drove back to Wellington. After some proselyting, we went to dinner with our ward's relief society president and her husband. Their grandsons were there. One of their grandsons got his mission call to the Las Vegas Nevada west mission. I know an Elder in that mission so that sounds like he'll have a great time. Gladys Knight lives there too. Anyways, after dinner we went on splits to go see some less actives in Belle Plaine. I went with the guy that just got his mission call and the other guy went with the grandfather and my companion. After seeing a few other less actives and inviting them back to church (none of which came), we went home. The clouds were super dark by the time we left. The next thing that happened to me was that we got home at 9:25 and the latest that we are allowed to get home is 9:30. Boy was I glad that we were obedient because right at 9:30 another huge storm rolled through this time with hail the size of golf balls. What damage the storm the night before didn't do this one took care of. Our car wasn't harmed, thankfully. Our power was out again. We had lots of candles so had plenty of light, but after dropping my flashlight the first night, it hasn't worked since. So I had to use Elder Evans' small flashlight to get ready for bed. It was a hassle but worked out. That was the biggest storm I think I've ever been in. Dad and I ran into a pretty big one on our way back from Philmont but it was nothing like what we had here. I was just grateful that we were obedient and got home on time. The power came on again right before we went to bed. We are still without AC but living in the basement keeps it pretty cool here. 

Wednesday was clean up day. We worked in the backyard until like 4 in the afternoon or something like that. We helped pick up branches and cut them up too. It reminded me of all the good times that Dad and I had doing the yard work and stuff. It has been raining a lot here lately, therefore cooling off the weather a ton. I am so grateful for it too because this time last year in was like 110 every day. But we've only had one day this year that we've hit 110 (knock on wood). August, apparently, is supposed to be pretty hot. But we'll just have to wait and see. 

On Wednesday, my back spasms returned. It is pretty painful sometimes. While we were proselyting that night, we went up to one of our investigator's doors and found the pamphlet and copy of the Book of Mormon on the porch saying "Mormons: We're not interested."

Thursday we helped in the backyard until like 4:45. I got a sunburn on Wednesday (I didn't put on sunscreen) but enjoyed being out there. We tried to get some people to open their stinkin' doors but unfortunately didn't. The whole time we did service throughout the week this week I felt like we were wasting our time by not proselyting. But the Brundages do so much for us, it's the only way we can pay them back. 

On Friday we did some more service in the cooler temperatures but just not as long as before. We had a nice day of bringing the gospel to the people of Wellington that day. But before that, we visited with this investigator that we have that is married to a less active. She's only less active because she goes wherever her husband goes which is the church in Freeport, Kansas. A town of 5 people. In Wellington, we talked to the guy that we have on baptismal date. He went down to Moore, Oklahoma over the weekend for his new job with a construction company, He's been looking for a job for a while now. Apparently there's a lot of work to do down in Moore due to the tornado a couple of months ago and a couple other storms later on. 

On Saturday, we helped move some of the limbs from the huge pile that we have outside into a truck that took it to the unloading burning spot just south of town here. In Caldwell we had a good day with some interesting experiences including talking to this one guy for about an hour. We could tell he was just trying to prove us wrong but you can't do that with the gospel, right? Sunday marked my year mark for my first baptism last year. I have a total of 5 now, but that was a memorable one. I actually got an e-mail from him today. It meant a lot to hear from him for the first time since his move back in November. We also went on a run this morning. I tell you, I am super out of shape. Sorry for the non-detail. I don't have that much time today. 

So yeah! thanks for telling me about your week! I hope everything goes well this week and you all stay safe. Have fun at the reunion! OH WAIT, if by chance you see a blue Chrysler minivan driving past you with a Kansas license plate, it could be a family from my first area driving to Idaho to take their daughter to school up there. Hopefully you can say hi to them. But I have to go, sorry. Love,

Elder Sutherland

PS: "I hate the pill"

No comments:

Post a Comment