Family,
Sure sounds like you all had a great week this past week. Most of the names mentioned from our ward, I have no idea who they are. But I'm sure they're great people! That's awesome that Cody is close to getting a job! Hopefully there are plenty of options for him! All right let me tell you about my week now.
So Monday last week I met this American family visiting from Japan. One just got back from his mission to Manila, Philippines while the other goes to Madagascar in a few weeks. So that was cool to meet him. But other than that, Monday was a pretty boring day. Where did Nathan Burstedt go on his mission again?
On Tuesday we had our first district meeting as a new district. We have the Auburn Hills sisters and the Maize 1st ward Elders (the zone leaders) in our district. They are all super super cool and have strong testimonies. I taught on PMG chapter 6. I love teaching about that chapter because it reminds me that I need to be more like Christ as His representative. Later that day back in our area, we saw one of our strange less actives. The only reason why we even visit him anymore is because his roomate is one of our newer investigators. Well we saw both of them together and after the lesson invited him for baptism and he said yes! He's only 2 months younger than me too. So we also invited him to church and he agreed to come. More on that later. After him, we visited one of our recent converts. He said he doesn't go to church out of pure laziness and also because he attends another church now. It doesn't help that he isn't all there in his head, if you know what I mean. So that was a bummer. For dinner we ate at this family who has a son playing baseball on the Wellington all star baseball team. They are going to the state tournament, apparently and played yesterday (Sunday). Hopefully they can get a testimony of the Sabbath Day. That reminds me, wasn't there a talk a couple of years ago in general conference that spoke of a young man and his father went inactive because he was on an elite travel baseball team that played on Sunday? You know what I'm talking about? I'd really like to read that one again sometime.
Wednesday was a long, hot day. Tuesday was super super awesome and Wednesday was good but quite slow. It wasn't really all that hot but it felt like it because of the amount of walking we did. We did, however, give a blessing to a non-member who was recently abused. she was grateful for the service. We also dedicated their home even though their family has been living in that home for years and years. She said she would be down to listen to our message so I'm excited that we're going to teach her how to find peace in this life. After walking with virtually no success, we drove to Harper, had dinner, and had an appointment with one of our investigators that will progress and feel the spirit if they just come to church. They said that they think our beliefs are crazy when they haven't even studied about it. It kind of hurt me to see that. We gave them a restoration DVD. I think that DVD is the best way to introduce someone to the gospel because it gives a very nice visual.
Thursday after weekly planning, we went back to Harper and saw mainly our typical less actives there. One of them is starting to be active again while the other wants to be active again but is taking care of her granddaughter and can't take her all the way to church. So that was a bummer, but it happens. We later found out that our recent convert - Sunday school president was never given the Aaronic priesthood when he was baptized. So we fixed that yesterday. Later that night we went to Anthony and had a good MML lesson with one of our members (member motivational less: the new key indicator we have) who told us they might be moving to North Dakota in the next month or two.
Friday we had another eventful day. Due to all the walking from Wednesday my leg was aching all day on Thursday. Luckily it was better by Friday. Friday we started out our day really slow. But it picked up later on. The recent convert I told you about we actually met with him on Friday. Later, we decided to drop by one of our investigators. He is a tattoo artist and was in the middle of a job. Just having that visual in my head of that guy getting that tattoo makes me never want to get one ever. I mean I never did before I saw that but that just increased by a lot due to that image. Later, after dinner, we saw the guy we have on baptismal date again. We finished lesson 1 and discussed the Word of wisdom with him. He's got a problem with coffee, tea, and tobacco. But we're working on it. It seems like many of our investigators smoke. But whatever.
Saturday was a pretty good day again. We celebrated Mom's birthday by me telling Elder Evans that it's my Mom's birthday. Don't worry Mom. I was happy on your birthday. By the way, I will probably be sending home a package with stuff I don't need. It's just 2 shirts and a nalgene bottle. I probably don't need my jeans either but the box isn't big enough for that so...yeah. I'll figure it out. Anyways, on Saturday we were walking around and got some success but not much. We talked to one of our potential investigator families outside as they were working on their yard. We answered their questions and even though the Dad said no, we're not interested, we have the son interested so we'll be going back to talk about the gospel. Apparently he only talked about listening to us with his wife for a little bit and they decided upon no because they were "comfortable" with the church they currently go to. So we'll be seeing them next week.
Sunday, however, was a big day. We had 2 investigators at church that day...2!!!! The guy with a baptismal date and another guy who also lives in Argonia and is married to a less active. So that was cool. We had our monthly potluck lunch/dinner too. After church, we went to Harper, proselyted there for a few hours with little success, and...yeah! That was our week. Sorry this e-mail isn't as enthusiastic as ones before. I just don't feel up to writing that much today for some reason. So if you have any questions let me know.
Dad, thanks for the e-mail describing the events of the past week. I understand your feelings and thought it was interesting how Mom said you used to come home early after church but don't come home until after like 7 now. Our church here gets out about 1 and then the bishopric does the money and by the time 1:30 comes around everyone is usually gone from the building. The beauties of a small ward. I didn't know that Elder Cannon's Mom went to a high school dance with you. That's kind of funny because the world is so small. So President Finnegan is going to your ward next week, huh? That sounds cool. give him a shoutout for me, will ya? Thanks for being there ever step of the way, Dad, and supporting me through the best of times and the worst of times on my mission thus far. I know I have a long way to go but must focus with all my might, mind, and strength to bring to pass the "immortality and eternal life of man." It's God's work, after all, and we're just here to spread His message to the people of the world because no matter where you are, the gospel will never change.
Thanks for telling me about your week. It's always exciting to hear! I best be off but will be open to chat for the next 15 minutes or so. Love,
Elder Sutherland
PS: "Who cares about dumb old Texas!"
"What did you just say?"
"Should I start running now?"
No comments:
Post a Comment