-

-

Sunday, July 7, 2013

3-4-13

Family,

This was a pretty good week. Some of the highlights were going to the visitor's center again on Thursday and the huge snow storm on Tuesday. The storm hit overnight Monday night and we woke up to a winter wonderland. We just spent the day shoveling and helping others get out of their ruts in the snow. Later that night, we stayed in our apartment and called former investigator after former investigator. We got some appointments from that so hopefully they hold. Our area book has a ton of former investigators in it so it was easy to continue doing that. On Wednesday we went and had an okay day teaching appointments and stuff. It was just a normal day until that night. At our dinner, we had a super spiritual lesson with the family. We did it on the Gift of the Holy Ghost and shared some experiences from both us and the family. Later, we had an appointment with another member to teach a short version of the restoration. So you know when you're on your mission and you just start talking and you get the feeling that the words you say aren't coming from you? Yeah, that happened to me. I love it when that happens so hopefully the member can get their missionary work on. We've been doing these short discussions with members to help the missionary work in the ward progress. We should also be launching a new ward mission plan here in the next few weeks so that members can first strengthen themselves before they invite their friends to hear the missionary lessons. On Thursday, we taught 2 less active member lessons. I like teaching those because they know they need to go back to church. It's just that they need that little push from the members . After dinner, our singles branch mission leader picked us up and we went to the visitor's center with one of our investigators with a baptismal date. The sisters that are in our zone did the God's Plan for Families video tour and the spirit was felt. After our investigator left, we stayed for a few minutes and talked about it with the sisters because they used to teach him before they handed him off to us. Our singles branch mission leader said he was high on I don't know what. On his way out, he tried to kiss a sister's hand. It was weird but as long as we are there for him and become his friend, he should get over those sins. The next time we will go over there we will teach the word of wisdom. On Friday we had district meeting. I taught about Christlike attributes in chapter 6 of PMG. I thought I taught it really well and invited the spirit to testify to the district members of this importance. I then went on exchanges with the Lee's Summit 1st ward elders. I went to their area while Elder Andrus stayed here. At dinner in their area, we talked about baseball again. I know I need to stop thinking about that because I often get distracted right in the middle of lessons and studying. So I'll do my best to avoid it from now on. So you know Emma Smith in the most recent Joseph Smith movie? Well that actress lives in that ward where we had exchanges. Pretty cool, huh? I thought it was cool. No, Joseph is not her husband, I don't think (the actor). Saturday was a great day. After doing some proselyting we went to the stake center for the leadership session of stake conference. Our stake president gave some good opening remarks (I'm sorry to admit that I don't remember what he said because I was daydreaming too much) before we split off into our auxiliaries. We went to the ward mission leaders and full-time missionary portion. The spirit was very strong as some high councilors discussed the ward mission plan and how it is not to get people unto baptism. It is to change the hearts of the members. So look at the PQ2 ward mission plan and see if it is doing that. Then brother Hunsaker, make revisions if necessary. I also learned that as Elders in the church, we are apostles with a lower case -A. We act as an extension to the quorum of the 12. That was juts overall a great meeting. Later that night, we tried a former investigator who speaks only Spanish. He doesn't live there anymore but we met another guy who speaks only Spanish too. I haven't been able to use my Spanish all that much since Wamego so I was happy after I talked to him and set up an appointment for this Friday. We'll bring a team-up because I'm still not perfect in Spanish. It was super fun to speak it again, though. Sunday was another great day. We had a broadcast from Salt Lake for Stake Conference. It was broadcast the whole midwest: 81 stakes and 1 district across Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, and North and South Dakota. Elder Oaks presided. First Elder Christensen of the presidency of the seventy gave a great talk about the Book of Mormon and it's power. That's where I received some pretty big revelation for one of our investigators. Next was Sister Reeves of the Relief Society general presidency. She talked about living high morals and how we need to be like Jesus. It was such a good talk and was my favorite of the conference. Next was Larry Echo Hawk of the seventy. He gave a really cool football story about when he was a freshman at BYU how he could've intercepted a pass for the touchdown but some one came off the bench and tackled him. It was a cool story and I'll send you a copy if I can find one. Then Elder Oaks talked about hastening the work and about the 58 new missions around the world. You know President Bell, our new Kansas, Wichita mission president? His nephew is in our ward here so I asked about him. He is from Sandy, Utah but works in Mesa, Arizona. Brother Bell was in Australia for the last 2 months so I've never officially met him until yesterday. But yeah, that's my week for you. For dinner last night we had a crazy family with 6 wild children. It reminded me of home. So, last night we helped move 4 large pieces of furniture for one of our investigators. My back, forearms, and arms were shot after that, haha! We had to move them up a narrow flight of stairs but Elder Andrus and I figured it out. Those were heavy though and I got way sweaty. Good thing it was freezing outside and not 110 degrees. 

Yes, I got Jayson's letter and I also got Dallin's letter. Hey, Jayson: don't listen to Mom. The toothfairy is real. Cody and I talk to her every month in candy land. We also see the Easter bunny and Santa often shows himself too. It's fun to talk to him. Hey, does Jayce have a deeper voice yet? I hope not. There's a young man who just turned 14 in December who is 6'5'' and looks 17-18. Speaking of Easter, I watched the movie called "To This End Was I Born" which is a good Easter movie. I recommend it because it is a very powerful testimony builder of Jesus Christ and what he did for us. Keep up the good work Cody! I know you'll make it to state track and field if you work hard! About Jayce being afraid of the ball, it only hurts for a second. Besides those balls are soft anyways. Just work at it, bro. It'll come. Transfers are this week. I don't expect to move. But I've changed companions 3 times in 3 transfers so it could happen again. I doubt it, though. Thanks for all the stuff you do for me especially the e-mails both Mom and Dad. I love hearing about your week. When's Jayce's first game? Can't wait to hear how he does. What Padres uniforms does he have?  Well I think I best be off. How's Elder Mackie doing? Thanks for everything and I wish you the best in all of your lives. Love,

Elder Sutherland  

PS: "Wow! They have it! Canned bread! This place really is the best!"
-Squidward Tennis Balls      

No comments:

Post a Comment