Family,
First off from seeing those pictures, Jayson needs a haircut. My goodness. But sounds like you had an amazing trip! I wish I was there but have work to do here. Did you meet missionaries there in that DC ward? I laughed at a lot of what you said like about that weird Costco with only black people. That would be the same here if you went to downtown KC and found a Costco you would find mainly black people. I live in a more urban part of town so I don't have to deal with that. Although some of our investigators are black.... Anyways, enough about that. I loved loved loved your e-mail and hearing about the hard times and the good times of the vacation.
My week went well. I hope to be able to convey it all to you in the way it actually went. Monday was just a normal P-Day. One of our investigators showed up but didn't play. I hope he progresses because even though he has a baptismal date, he doesn't seem to have that real intent that Moroni talks about. All week, I have been reading in the Book of Mormon during my personal studies and reading about Alma and Amulek and how they spoke with such boldness as to convert Zeezrom, a very hard-hearted lawyer. It made me think when it would be appropriate for me to do that because some people I just want to punch in the face sometimes. I'll talk about that in a minute. I also read about the sons of Mosiah and their journey into Lamanite territory. They had so much success that a majority of the Lamanites would be converted. Even an Amalekite was converted! I want to be able to have that much power, authority, and especially faith as I enter hostile environments. That's the key in missionary work: faith; something that I feel that I need more of. But just reading about how these men were the vilest of sinners and turned into perhaps the greatest missionaries who ever walked on this planet is amazing to me. Hopefully people can open their eyes and stop being retards for once. That would be great. On Tuesday, we had a miracle moment. One of our investigators who wants to be baptized finally got permission from his parents! His date is the 13th of this month. We're excited. That was our only appointment that day. On Wednesday, it seems like everything fell through even though we had an overall okay day. Even our correlation meeting fell through. Our single's branch mission leader got released yesterday because he works like 12 hours a day and watches his disabled sister the rest of the time he's awake. We don't have a branch mission leader as of right now but maybe next Sunday we'll have one called. On Wednesday night, we got to help the teachers quorum become familiar with the mission papers process. Since I didn't really fill out my application, I couldn't help some of the time. But it was fun to be able to answer their questions and help them solve their needs. Overnight Wednesday night I woke up and felt really sick. Like high fever sick. But that's just because I was cold. So I put on my sweatshirt and socks and was good the rest of the night. I felt sick the next day, though. We had exchanges that day so after coming to the stake center, coming back, and starting to work, my body couldn't handle it. We set up an appointment with one of our investigators and she just kept talking and talking as my legs were getting weaker and weaker. Right after, we went back to the apartment and I called the mission nurse because I just had super super super low energy. Like lower than I have ever felt before. She just said change your diet. That wasn't the answer I was looking for but okay. I feel a lot better now anyways without changing my diet. So after I called her, we stayed at the apartment for the next hour and a half until we were to go tracting with a young man and our top investigator. I felt better from the resting and was able to participate a lot. We had dinner that night with a family whose Mom talks to squirrels like how Mom talks to Pennie. It was strange but she was super nice. I love this time of year because we get a lot of grilling. It's better out here too. Yum. On Friday I was nervous for district meeting because I wasn't sure if I would have the energy. But I felt a ton better after a full night's rest. I was still tired but not as much. District meeting was awesome. We watched the movie "To This End Was I Born". I love love love that movie because it portrays the Savior's life the best, I feel. So district meeting was quite emotional for me. Later that day we met this one lady who was on a coffee high. She was tossing her baby around while talking to us on her porch. It was strange and that is why I am glad that we have the Word of Wisdom. On Saturday, I did another baptismal interview in Lee's Summit. It was a 17 year old girl who embraced the gospel as she heard about it. She is possibly more golden than my first baptism. After, we went to this newer neighborhood to this family who moved into this brand new house only a week prior to us meeting them. They are hard corps baptist and were totally trying to convert us. But I felt a little like Alma and Amulek and how they stood forth boldly and how the people thought they both were possessed with devils. This family talked about no matter how old you are or how much of a sinner you are, if you accept Christ as your savior you will be saved. It baffles me to see the state of apostasy people here have come to. So say you were a rapist but accepted Christ before you became a rapist. You would still be saved while those that never accepted Christ but were good people will go to hell. It just didn't make sense to me. That's why I am glad to know the Plan of Salvation and have gotten it from my mind to my heart. That night we got a referral about this younger couple that is super solid. We have an appointment with them tonight and hope to put them on date for May 4th. So we'll see. Oh, I also sent Brother Bosen another letter today so he should be getting it in a couple of days. Sunday yesterday was pretty good. I'm sure not as good as you there in the comfort of our home ward but still good. There were some pretty good talks given in the Fleming Park ward and the seminary choir sang. Boy the youth sure brought the spirit. After a nice dinner, we had a good discussion with this less active guy who knows what he needs to do to reach exaltation. He just wants to go back to smoking and getting a nice cold beer on a hot summer day. But we described to him that it's little by little, line upon line, and precept upon precept. He understands and hopes to come back to church. So that is my week in a nutshell! I'm looking forward to birthday season! Caitlin's is not that far away. Let me know if you want me to send you a birthday list because I have started to make one. Guess who's looking forward to General Conference? Yeah, this guy. I love love love conference so much and can't wait to hear the statistical report, and talks about missionary work, and just overall every talk.
So I was looking at the pictures of Jayce and not only does he need a haircut but he is so tall! He's almost as tall as Mom. The weather this week has not been bad at all. It just got warm last week and should stay that way for the next 6-7 months.
Dad, I thank you for your e-mail. Reading through it and your comment about the Jews being persecuted and killed and comparing it to the Mormons is so true. Granted the Jews were the ones to kill the son of God but what did we do to deserve our persecution? Nothing? You did not send me that talk by Elder Christofferson. I think I would like to read that. The helicopter I sent you was a gift from our members at Christmas time. I didn't need it so wanted to send it home. I never got around to doing it until just a couple of weeks ago. Have Jayce and Cody been playing with it at all? It should be nicer than the ones that we got for them previously for Christmas and stuff. So I heard that the family reunion is in Brackenridge again, right? I also heard that Jeff and his wife, Val will be there from Brazil. Grandpa knows all, haha!
Well, that's just about it for me. I'll let you know if anything else is new next week I guess. Hopefully Cody gets better and Jayce becomes the world's greatest baseball player! Keep me posted on the 2 children that are grown and out of the house. Talk to you next week. Love,
Elder Sutherland
PS: "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!!!!"
"Have you fallen at least once in the past 6 months? then you need the super old person mega scooter!"
No comments:
Post a Comment