-

-

Sunday, July 7, 2013

6-17-13

Family,

So I got the Harvester this last week and wrote you a little note along with it. I think I also wrote the wrong date too but I think you can figure it out. So sounds like y'all had a good week. I had a pretty good one too. I'll get into it in a minute. Well I might as well get into it now. 

Well Monday was just another Monday. The weather here is starting to get hot again. After P-day last Monday we went to Mayfield and did a little tracting where we met this one guy from Kirkland, Washington. He was nice but said he'd never become a Mormon. Well don't worry we'll change that. He said he needed us to leave because the K-State baseball game was coming on. I respected that and said we would return later. We also had an appointment fall through that night too but whatever. On Tuesday we had our monthly zone meeting at the Wichita stake center. The building is about a year old so it's awesome to have a super nice new building to have meetings in. I learned about the atonement. But unfortunately I didn't pay attention as much as I should've so didn't get much from the meeting. I then went on exchanges after the meeting with the Auburn Hills Elders. I was with Elder Stein in their area for the day. Nothing much happened other than the super heat until dinner time where we went to this one member's house who had a huge blue parrot. It was flirting with me for the longest time and squawking at me. It got on my shoulders (they got a picture of it and sent it to me but I didn't get it for some reason) and danced around then started to pinch me. It was funny but kind of annoying. After dinner we went to this one headquarters referral house. They were a nice couple but the husband dominated most of the conversation (pretty much all of it, actually). That was pretty much our Tuesday. On Wednesday we had a pretty slow day. We ate at pizza hut then went to a lesson with the investigators that we have on baptismal date. Since we don't have any active members anymore in that city, it is difficult for us to get a team-up there. So this time we did our best with what we had. Thursday was the big day. My year mark. I was thinking throughout the day "this time last year I was...." I don't think I should've been doing that but whatever, it happens. We had a very interesting lesson with one of our best investigators. He told us that he'll never be able to be baptized for certain reasons even though he wants to. So that was a bummer. But it feels good now to tell people: "Yeah I've been out a year." Oh, also Elder Dansie and I decided to fast in preparation for the temple tomorrow. So from Thursday lunch to Friday at lunch we fasted that we'd be able to have a spiritual experience. Hopefully we can because I know the Lord will grant us our desire according to His will. I'm super excited to go to the Kansas City temple tomorrow. I haven't been to the temple in over a year so this should be awesome. I'll be tired because we have to wake up at 5 but it'll be super fun. It just might be the most memorable experience on my mission other than the Gladys Knight event back in October on my 4-month mark. These 2 will be highlights to look back to. Friday we broke our fasts and went to Belle Plaine first then went to Wellington. We have an investigator who, if you knock on the door, you better hope it's him because his Mom and Grandma hate us for some reason not known to me. Well his Mom answered this time and shooed us off without giving us a chance to speak, really. That night we had chili for dinner. So I threw as much cheese, fritos, and sour cream as I could on there to dilute the beans. It worked but I ran out of the good stuff and just left the rest of the beans at the bottom of the bowl. So chili is no good for you. One of our investigators, when he was found 2 years ago or so, had a huge drugs/smoking and drinking problem. Now he's cut down to only a couple cigarettes a day. He's quitting all this stuff so that he can be baptized. He quit coffee just last week so YAY! But he hasn't come to church ever since I've been here. He didn't come yesterday either even though he texted us yesterday morning telling us that he would be there. It's tough but it happens, I guess. That's the toughest part about this area. People just aren't that committed to following up on their invitations. Saturday was a little weird. We were walking around, as usual, to save miles. But while we were doing so, one of those San Diego rain storms happened where it absolutely pours for like 15 minutes and then stops suddenly. A few minutes later, it was blue skies again. I thought that was super strange. Nobody was home down there in Caldwell so it was a pretty tough day despite finding a new investigator that is 94 years old. She's super nice and has lots of potential. On Sunday we didn't have a single investigator at church. The one that came last week didn't come because she was sick. She has super bad social anxiety so she doesn't even want you to look at her when you walk in. We have some great fellowship for her, though. So I think she will be baptized eventually but it may take a year or so. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. We almost ran out of gas yesterday too but had just enough to make it home. Good thing we have a gas station in Argonia with relatively cheap prices. We didn't buy any so just went home. When we got home, the member we were living with was watching the NBA finals again. It was very difficult to ignore especially since my favorite team was playing. I seriously think the church should ban TV on Sunday; unless it's something on BYU TV or something like that. But yep! That was the gist of my week!

Of course you guys went to a Padres game. But how could you be late! AND you left early? But I'm sure it was fun. So Cody's taking AP Calculus next year, huh? Good luck. I didn't like that class but since math is Cody's best subject (other than PE) I guess go for it! Say hi to Dallin and Erin for me! And Caitlin and Billy too. Hey question to Dad or whoever can answer this for me. What's a geode? I got that e-mail from Alex and appreciated the advice he gave to me. Well I hope y'all have a great week, now! Until next time! Sorry for it being a little short. Love,

Elder Sutherland

PS: "When your cable doesn't work, you get angry.
When you get angry, you go blow off steam.
When you go blow off steam, accidents happen.
When accidents happen, you get an eye patch.
When you get an eye patch, people think you're tough.
When people think you're tough, people want to see how tough.
And when people want to see how tough, you wake up in a roadside ditch.
Don't wake up in a roadside ditch. Get rid of cable and switch to DirecTV."

No comments:

Post a Comment