-

-

Sunday, July 14, 2013

7-8-13

Hey even robots need the gospel. This guy doesn't have a heart. He didn't even want to listen to me :(.

Family,

How's the life? How was high adventure? I loved getting your e-mails about what happened this past week. Too bad you weren't able to find the geode paths. I hope you'll be able to next time. Oh, now that Cody's back, could you send me a copy of EFY 2013? That would be sweet. All right now time to tell you about my week. 

So Monday was good. The whole week, actually was super fun having Elder Hellbusch here. He has energized the companionship a ton and is super funny. Anyways, Monday, we had a good lesson with this guy we're teaching. He and his wife are super nice.  I love to see their progression in the learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ. We talked about baptism a bit and will invite him hopefully this week. On Tuesday we did not have district meeting, but rather we went on exchanges with the zone leaders. I went up to Wichita with Elders Skidmore and Stopper. They're in a trio too. We didn't do much proselyting but what we did do was work with the members. That's what our zone leaders are really trying to push for: member missionary work. So if you go on LDS.org you'll find the extra videos from the broadcast a couple of weeks ago. We've been showing them to members and I hope it'll help our members show how to be missionaries and invite their friends and neighbors to listen to the restored gospel. 

When I was on exchanges, we went out with a 17 year old who is on the fence deciding whether or not to serve a mission. So we actually taught him the restoration so that his testimony could get stronger and help him understand enough to where he could teach his non-member girlfriend about the church. So that was a cool experience. 

On Wednesday, we had our interviews with the mission president. I tried to perform my training but everyone was going in and out of district meeting so no one really got it. I will probably do the same training next district meeting as I did for the previous one. I had my interview with President Bell and told him that I knew his nephew in the Fleming park ward. So that was cool to see a familiarity with him. He's really cool and hard working. I think once he gets the hang of things, he'll be a great leader and president for us. Now I don't regard him as much as I do president Keyes. But I think that'll soon change. As interviews were about to end, the zone leaders took me aside and really pounded into me that we absolutely need to get a ward mission plan going or else there will no longer be a Wellington ward in 15-20 years. They were bold about it too. So that's something I've really been focusing on here lately. Elder Allen, when he was on exchanges down here, helped the 1st counselor of our bishopric get started on a ward mission plan. We don't have a ward mission leader so we're just going to have to rely on the bishopric to get this done. That'll be tough because our bishopric has so many other things to focus on. Hopefully they find time to get it going. Of course we'll play a part in it, don't worry. 

Thursday was the 4th of July and also my year mark for flying out here. We had a nice day that day teaching our less actives and other investigators. We had dinner at a member's house down in Anthony that was shooting off fireworks as we ate. So it was a huge partay. All the family was there. We also saw this one less active guy that is really struggling with himself because he knows he needs to go back to church but just doesn't have a ride. So that's why he's trying to move to Wellington to be able to have access to more rides. Oh, earlier that day, we had Elder Hellbusch meet this potential investigator we have. He is nice but has strange views on life to no matter what you say, he won't believe it. He gave us brats and a Dr. Pepper too. It was hot that day. That's the first caffeinated beverage I've had since November. I've never had Dr. Pepper but it was pretty good. I've been trying to drink less soda and more water. So I think that's a good habit to make now instead of later. Especially since water is cheaper. 

Friday we got the call that Elder Dansie and I are both training missionaries next transfer. I will be training a brand new one down here in Wellington and Elder Dansie is going up to the Manhattan 1st ward to mid-train someone. On Friday we also had a great lesson with that guy we taught on Monday. He has committed to come to church this coming Sunday. So I'm excited to see him finally come. So with this new training assignment, it will be my 3rd son. I hope to be able to help him on the right path because this time last year was about the time period that I met Elder Clare. He was awesome; so therefore I need to be awesome. 

Saturday was the day we were to go up to Wichita (for the third time in the week) for the trainers meeting with President Bell and the AP's (Elders Taylor, Stratton, and Herbert). The meeting was great! There are a lot of new missionaries coming in (23, I believe) so it will be fun to meet some of them with this next upcoming zone meeting on Friday. Later on Saturday, we went down to Caldwell. During the day we had a baptist preacher guy scream at me specifically that I'm going to he** double hockey sticks. He wasn't nice. He said it because we had a 94 year old investigator who we met tracting. She told her pastor she didn't want to meet with us anymore and therefore he came by and said stop "bothering" her or he'd call the police. Well I kind of argued with him. He wasn't nice. It just baffles me to see so many Christians be so mean to us like that. I just try to hold back because (even though it may not happen) in D&C 121 the Lord talks to Joseph Smith and tells him that the hopes of his enemies shall be "melted away as the hoar frost before the rising of the sun" or something like that. So it's up to the Lord to decide what to do with these kinds of people. 

After dinner with a family with 6 kids under the age of 8, we saw one less active guy who we often see. He wants to come back to church but is afraid he'll be excommunicated because of some of the tings he's done. And believe me, he's told us those things. Hopefully he doesn't but it looks like he might. It's just up to him to decide to come back to church or not. 

Sunday was a hot and tough day physically. I was fasting about talking to people and having the courage to talk to everyone. It was 100+ degrees yesterday and waking around in that with no water was tough. We managed to survive as we made it to dinner. Elder Dansie has been in bed all day today, though, with what we think is heat exhaustion. Hopefully he gets better. Well that's pretty much my week! I know that this work is true with all my heart. I'm sure that I'm forgetting something, but we'll just have to wait and see. I got your brownies. They weren't smushed at all. They are still good too. Just a few crumbs in the bag. 

That is great that Ashley just got married! The McMullins must be having a great summer with so many kids succeeding in life and school. So many people I know need the gospel again but don't know where to find their testimony. Hopefully our testimony and especially our reaching out to those individuals with love will help them. This week will be interesting but I'll give you an accounting. Until then, love

Elder Sutherland

PS: "Welcome to our cluuuuuub! Welcome to our cluuuuuub! Welcome Squidward! Welcome Squidward! Welcome Squidward! Welcome Squidward! Welcome Squidward! Welcome Squidward!"
"ENOUGH!!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment