-

-

Sunday, July 7, 2013

1-7-13

Family,

I had a good new Years and the turn of the year reminded me that I am turning into an old man this May. 20 years old sounds crazy! It was just last month that I turned 13 and into a teenager! Anyways, that was last month but this is now, haha! This past week had it's highs and it's lows. I think people in Kansas are much more receptive than they are here in Missouri. Even then people in Kansas aren't THAT receptive. There are lots of people who hate the Mormons out here. In fact pretty much every single church prophesies against the Book of Mormon. Why is Satan so good at what he does? Apparently, there's a billboard in downtown Kansas City that says something like: "Don't read the Book of Mormon" advertised by some church I can't remember the name of. But that's just how people are when we are tracting. We have one investigator who is a heavy smoker but is really close to coming to know that the Book of Mormon is true. I think if he stops smoking and comes to church, that'll do it for him. But another investigator we have actually does know that the Book of Mormon is true but says that it has strengthened her faith enough to go back to her church (This massive Christian church off the main highway. It's like the size of the Vista building or maybe even bigger). That was the lesson that exploded my soul the most on my mission so far. She is just right there but is denying the evidence of the correct church. Uggh. Well, I just have to remember that God still loves her and wants the best for her. So just be patient, Elder Sutherland. I also went on exchanges last week to Raymore, Missouri. It made me realize how great of missionaries that I have been with because this Elder gets really offended when someone bashes the church and starts to bash back. It just made me think of President Henry J. Eyring's words to me of just love everyone but get away from bashing situations as fast as you can. On New years eve, we went to bed at the normal time but I woke up at midnight to cheering and fireworks and even guns going off! It was weird but I was thankfully safe inside. On New years day, we helped an older couple move into the ward. All in all, we had a good week and look forward to serving some more this 2013. Oh, it was hard not to look at the TV while eating lunch on new years day. I gave in a couple of times but hopefully won't do it again. It's tough, I tell you. I bore my testimony twice yesterday in both sacrament meetings because I kind of felt obligated being my first fast Sunday there. But I am beginning to love the ward even more. It's not as small as the Wamego branch but I think I'll get to know everybody by the end of the month. 

It's awesome to hear the Caitlin and Billy are doing well in DC now! I hope they get accustomed there and enjoy the hot summers. Wow! He's from Bainbridge Island?! That's awesome! What a small world! Do you know if the ward there has gotten any bigger or smaller? Can't wait to hear! I am very happy for him going on a mission again. I hope he can bless the ward there with his spirit and the spirit of Bainbridge. About the ward changing the boundaries, I am used to that already because on my 4th Sunday in Wamego, we changed the boundaries to where everyone in the furthermost east portion of Manhattan came to our congregation. Now I also remember that there was some sad faces but friendships were quickly made and I left with a very happy ward looking to work as hard as possible. I think the ward there will be much of the same. Will Dad still be Bishop? Yes, I got both packages on the same day along with Grandma and Grandpa Barrow's book that they sent me. So 3 packages on the same day was awesome! The book that they sent me was unapproved but I am grateful for them thinking of me!  Those packages included the cookies and they were sort of fresh but still really good. Elder Hamblin and I eat like 3 a day. My teaching is going really well. I get compliments all the time for it. I feel like I still have a lot of room for improvement, though (it's annoying typing this e-mail with Hotel California playing in the background). Do you or other ward members go out to appointments with the missionaries that often? That's one of their Key indicators so I would hope so. Do you know if you are going to get a lot more missionaries soon? Because this next transfer, we are getting 26 new missionaries and half of them are going to be sisters. And only 17 are going home during the next 2 transfers with 46 coming in. We are the largest mission in the world as far as missionaries are concerned and by the time this year ends, there will be close to 500 in the mission. 

Happy birthday Grandma! That's cool that the new Elder went to Anasazi for a while too. Sorry Dad, I am not that familiar with where the new boundaries will be. meaning I don't know the streets that well. Are we getting any members of the stake presidency in our ward now? Oh, the Linnell's! That's cool. Are there any other members that I might know? I think that'll greatly boost the numbers and maybe that is just the thing that'll increase the missionary force in the ward. Sounds like you had a very interesting week. Did you go back to work too? How's that going? Are you hiring any people? We got a referral the other day and tried it. This lady opened the door who is about 30 years old and she was wearing a Nokia T-shirt! I was happy to see it because it reminded me of you. How's Jayce with his friend Jack? 

Well, that's it for me. I love each of you and pray for you as much as I can. Let me know Caitlin and Billy's new address and how everybody is doing. One more thing: Did you read last week about sending me music? Go back and look. Love,

Elder Sutherland

PS: "Why would someone make a dish that sounds like rat - and Patootie. Haha, ratpatootie! Which does not sound delicious."

"We are all out of wine."   

No comments:

Post a Comment