Family,
Yes Mom, my name is hard for not only little kids to say but also adults. It's funny sometimes. I'm doing pretty good. This has been a week of miracles. I won't hesitate to begin so let's do this.
So Monday was a ho-hum kind of day. We went over to Mayfield and Milan to see some of our potential investigators and other investigators. Monday night, however, we got some BIG news! As a part of zone conference next week, President Keyes has received permission from Salt Lake and the Kansas City temple presidency to have us ride in charter buses up to the temple and go through a session! I'm way excited to be able to serve in the temple again especially since I haven't been there since last June! President Keyes loves us and we love him. With the mission split coming up I'm excited to be able to have this event. I'm not sure if there will be another event similar to this now that this will be the Kansas Wichita mission. We won't have a temple in our mission anymore. Sadface. I don't know all the details for the trip quite yet but will know tomorrow at zone meeting. I was so happy when I heard this call because you probably know how much I loved serving in the temple before my mission. Now I get to do it again. Tuesday was a good day too. Our district meeting was filled with the spirit. I trained on the spirit, coincidentally, and I could tell everyone was inspired. The zone leaders also attended the meeting. Later during our proselyting time, we had a super solid investigator drop us. It was heart breaking. Spouses sometimes can be so hesitant or more resistant than the other. We also got one of our investigators to commit to come to church yesterday. She did come and we were happy! She has a crazy sleeping schedule and has social anxiety but we got her there. Later that day, we were trying potentials when the husband of this one lady answered the door. His wife said evenings were the best time for them. We talked a bit about the restoration to her husband at the door and then was bearing testimony about how Joseph Smith was a prophet. At that moment, I can't remember what he said but it was something rude and then he slammed the door in our face. That was so much fun! Wednesday was a day that could have been a long one but turned out being a good one. We didn't see too many people especially since it had rained the night before. So we decided to go to a town that Both Elder Dansie and I have never been to out in Attica. We used lots of miles that day but ti was worth it as we found a couple of good potentials. Later that day in Harper, we had a lesson with these 2 new investigators we found. They are a super young couple with a 2 year old and an 8 or 9 week old. They have been prepared to hear the gospel. We taught them lesson 1 and invited them to baptism. Even though they didn't say yes, I could tell that we left something for them to think about and consider in the future. The Lord sure blessed us that day. After weekly planning on Thursday, we went to see a less active couple out in Harper. They have lots of cats, including cute baby kittens. But it was funny how it reminded me of how Caitlin and Billy were living in DC. I don't know what it was in there but all of a sudden I was sneezing all over the place. I'm not allergic to cats but it was bad how I reacted to whatever was in there. That event made me feel a little sick the rest of the day. After, since our next appointment fell through, we went down to Anthony to go see the investigator who wants to be baptized but can't unless he comes to church. He doesn't have a vehicle to transport himself and his ride bails out on him every single week, it seems like. But anyways we had a nice lesson with him. Earlier in the week, he wanted me to use his chainsaw to help him cut down some tree branches that blew over the night before. I've never used a chainsaw before and was a little scared. I didn't use it very long when he said that I do it wrong and will injure myself badly if I don't do it right. So he just did the job himself. Friday for lunch I had a soda with my meal and as a result was super super super super super tired from the sugar crash for the next couple of hours. That includes when I was driving too. So it was hard for me to pay attention when we were talking to some of our less actives. But I eventually got over it and helped people build their testimony. Later, we taught one of our newest investigators the restoration. His Grandma and Mom weren't too fond of us so we had to go teach him by his car instead of on his porch. He said he might come to church but he didn't. That was pretty much the whole day. Not too many people were available. The next day (oh by the way waking up in the morning has been super tough in the near pitch black of our basement) on Saturday we went down to Caldwell. But today was a really slow day. Nobody was home and we were walking around all day in order to save miles. We met some nice people and we met some not so nice people. One nice person we found out was moving to Redlands, California. The not so nice guy we talked to boldly told us that Joseph Smith was NOT a prophet. I mean he made sure we understood him. All I did was bear solemn and humble testimony that I know he was a prophet. People like that confuse me because they say they're Christian but don't treat us missionaries like that. If say a Jehovah's Witness knocked on my door, I'd let them in to share what they had to say. But this guy just pounded us with what I'm sure his pastor told him and how he was raised. Free agency can be frustrating at times. We also met this one lady that really shook my testimony because of the "advice" she gave us. But that one guy strengthened my testimony. Hopefully I can continue on and be a strength to those who want to denounce the church of God. Then after dinner we went to Milan and talked to a less active there who told us his life story. We read the book of Enos with him and he said that was just what he needed to hear. So the spirit does some amazing things. It was pouring rain when we left to drive home. But hey, we got a free car wash! It was fun driving through gutters with high water levels. Sunday was a pretty good day too. But church was super boring. We had one investigator attend church and even though that was great, one of these Sundays, we'll see 4 walk through those doors. Sunday night we talked to this less active couple who just recently moved from South Carolina and have a sweet southern accent. They said they will be at church next Sunday. So yeah! That was the extent of my week! Now I'm here!
Yay! Jayson finally got a haircut! I'm so proud of you, bro! Keep up the good work until school finally gets out! I never did the square dancing thing in 2nd grade because we were in Seattle. I was happy about that too, haha. I want to know how Cody's finals go. Wait, I keep forgetting to ask: Did Cody take the APES AP test? I remember I did and felt like I did really well on it but got a 1 on it. I think I accidentally skipped a question but didn't skip it on the score sheet. Ashley McMullin is getting MARRIED! I didn't know that! Maybe I did but I just don't remember. Who's the guy that she's marrying? Sorry about your trophy, Jayce. One of my t-ball trophies has a broken ball on the tee so I know how you feel. Oh and tell Caitlin and Billy I'm going to try and write them back today but I have many letters to catch up on so we'll see. Tell Dallin I love him and want him to come back to church so that he can live with God again. I miss you and pray for each of you every night. Have a great week! I hit my year mark this Thursday, the last day of school! Until next week. Love,
Elder Sutherland
PS:"But Mike, the Boo-mobile's in trouble."
"You're still not listening."
GASP
"Welcome to the Himalayas. Snowcone?"
"Oh boy, that abominable snowplow sure is great."
Sorry for botching it, Cody. I'm sure you can say it right.



No comments:
Post a Comment